Friday, January 28, 2011

Plastic Bottles & Batteries Now Being Picked Up For Recycling


Edinburgh City Council have announced that they're going to start collecting plastic bottles and batteries from the kerbside recycling boxes.

I have to say they've taken their time about it, for no real reason that I can see.

Plastic bottles can already be put into the giant on-street skip-type recycling bins throughout the city so it's an easy step to start collecting them from the kerbside boxes as well.

Batteries, on the other hand, have never been collected before. The council have mostly left this to retailers (in fact I was going to blog this week that the Scotmid on Gorgie Road sprouted a battery recycling box for a couple of days this week, but it disappeared again). Car batteries can be taken to the council-run recycling depots.

I've said before, the easier you make it for people to recycle their waste, the more they will do so.

Next on my wishlist for recycling: plastic tubs. I eat a lot of yoghurt but Edinburgh doesn't accept plastic tubs. Obviously they like one type of plastic, but not others!

No comments: