Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Gift From The Gods Which Keeps On Giving

We've been down this road before - way back in August 2007 there was a report that University of Abertay researchers were looking at ways of producing bioethanol from whisky by-products.

Now it appears that Napier University have managed to produce another biofuel, butanol, from whisky by-products.

I have to admit, though, that I'm sceptical. Not about the chemistry, I believe they can do it.

But they use leftover grain, which normally goes into cattle feed anyway.

And just how much biofuel can they get out of a distillery in a year? Presumably it depends wholly on how much whisky is consumed.

I'll do my best, but I might need some help in getting this industry off the ground. And then, I might need some help in getting myself up off the ground.

No comments: