Monday, March 16, 2009

Tripods





Today's xkcd cartoon reminds me of a conversation I had a few year
s ago with the girlfriend.

We were talking about wind turbines as there was a campaign in her home town to stop a proposed wind farm nearby (the campaign thankfully failed, and the turbines are up - and are completely invisible from most angles in the surrounding area!)

She confessed that she found wind turbines slightly disturbing, that there was something oddly evil about them just sitting there in the middle of nowhere, spinning away. I told her that I think wind turbines look majestic and that I enjoy seeing them whenever I pass by a lone backyard turbine or a wind farm.

Then I asked her about coal-fired power stations. "Oh, they're even more evil-looking", she said.

No comments: